Strongest Sister I've Ever Known
Saturday October 29; Kimmie and Robert took Angel to Dr. D where they sent him on his journey to greet his sisters (Dolly, Stubby, and Sunshine) who were waiting for him at the Rainbow Bridge. Wagging tails, slobbery kisses, and four greyhound littermates together again are running free.Perhaps they have even met up with Nipper, Buck, Strohs, Shadow, Sugar, Doofus, and Punkin..sharing doggy stories that we would be frightened to hear.
Kim and Robert adopted these four pups many many years ago at the racetrack in Florida...and has since spawned the ever-growing Greyhound Crossroads that has placed hundreds and hundreds of other greyhounds into loving homes like theirs. I do know that losing 4 dogs in less than a year must be a sadness that I cannot even know.
I know that in the veterinary profession we learn, and strive, to do all that we can to help the animals who can't help themselves. As Will Rogers once said, "The best doctor in the world is a veterinarian: he can't ask his patients what is the matter---he's just got to know."
One of the first things I realized a long time ago was: it's easy to make it so our pets don't hurt, but it's hard to fix the broken heart of the person leaving empty handed.
It takes special owners to know when their babies are hurting. It takes a special mommy to talk about her pup everyday, calling him her 'heart dog'. It takes a special mommy to watch him as he was regally crowned King of The Beach, and it takes an extra special mommy to hold her pup in her lap and help him take his last walk out of this world.
So special, he is, that this picture was taken a long time ago on one lazy autumn day and now graces many memories and logbooks of people that have never met him. This picture was used to carve her first signature stamp that she uses for letterboxing. She used this stamp when she introduced me to our hobby that has done so much to bring these two sisters together.
I know you are strong, sister, because you have to be. But, sometimes, like I have told you before, you don't need to be. I know you will keep smiling because there is a little Florida girl who loves to give you hugs and is the only greyhound I know that will sniff out a trail with her buddy, Talisman.


2 Comments:
What does one do in the moments between laughing and crying?
Hug your beautiful, wonderful, most favorite sister.
Kimmee
that's lovely........and a real testament to you 2.
Post a Comment
<< Home