I'm Hanging

Today started cold: snow and ice. I left early for school to make sure I wasn't one of those people in the ditch.
I was in Surgery all morning, where I watched a huge liver tumor removal and a very interesting eye surgery. I had to leave just as the surgeon was under the cornea and I could see her manipulating the lens on the magnified tv. Totally Awesome! The main surgery tech (who adds part of my grade) was trying to think of a name from one of the other girls starting with me (there are 8 of us new 'Rossies') and she says, "You and Cindy are the only ones I can remember"...shoooo, I will take that! That can ONLY be good, right?
Then we went to Radiology orientation. There is a separate room for the Nuclear Scans, apparently there are only 3 of these machines in North America: Canada, Oregon, and Purdue...now THAT'S cool! I signed up for Small and Large Animal emergency/ ICU duty then I walked over the get the cheaper dogfood and catfood for my critters. We had a break, so I got my lunch that I had packed (lasagna) from the fridge and we went and ate at the little restaurant...Appropriately named Vet Vittles!
I got to work on a patient in Oncology. We took her over to Ultrasound to recheck a surgery she had to remove some bladder cancer. I got to do an FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate), kinda like a biopsy, of her lymph nodes that were enlarged. She has Transitional Cell Carcinoma, which is the cancer research they do here...exactly what dad had. Just maybe I can be a part of finding a cure for something that is so awful. She got another round of chemo and we will recheck her again soon. Besides some boring shaving and prepping in surgery, this little gal was the first patient I had my hands on. =)
Gonna run and do a few errands and read for rounds tomorrow...Hemangiosarcoma (yay).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home