The best day of my life... July 2, 2009
So, Monday was a usual day at work, with the exception of a couple very strong little pangs of pain. A couple were painful enough for everyone to start teasing me about not being at work the following day- to which I replied they were crazy and I would be in to work as usual.
Tuesday morning about 1am, I was having a bout of the nightly insomnia so I decided to take a Unisom (which never helped but I took anyway). At that point I realized that I hadn't felt Jackson move in 8 hours so I ate a popsicle (which usually woke baby up). Laid in bed for 30 minutes and never felt a movement so I got scared. After calling Jim at work and Kim, I decided to go on in to the emergency room with mom, just to be on the safe side. I was sent immediately up to Labor & Delivery, they put me on the monitor and found a good heartbeat. I remained on monitor until 9am, was sent for a Biophysical Profile which is basically a fancy ultrasound. During this ultrasound, they count his movements for 30 minutes: looking for two movements per limb and good respiratory movements during that time. He scored a 4/8 on test, which is not very good- he never moved any limb. I was discharged at noon with instructions to come back in the next morning (Wednesday morning) for another biophysical profile.
Wednesday morning 8am- The next biophysical profile yielded the same results as the day before, test score 4/8, no movements, but good heart beat. I was then wheeled into a private room and admitted. Let the fun begin! I remained on the monitors all day, chillin out. My IV catheter was placed about 6pm (as I recall) and the technician had problems. I found this odd because I have always had awesome, easy-to-hit veins...never a problem. Well, this lady had to fish a minute, then finished placing it, taped it in and left.
8pm- Dr. Erickson placed medication around cervix to soften and hopefully dilate in preparation for labor.
Midnight- The nurse came it to start the IV fluids to make sure everything was good to go and to pre-hydrate me for the induction with pitocin at 5am. Well, when she started the fluids I about came out of the bed it hurt so bad. I have never felt pain like that with fluids, so I told her it really hurt. It continued for a few minutes until Jim, who was laying on the couch, about told her that HELLO MY vein was infiltrated! Then, she determined that it was infiltrated. She couldn't get another catheter placed, so they called anesthesia... poking and poking and fishing and fishing (with 18g cath), and after bruising up both arms...they FINALLY got it placed. dang!
Thursday:
4am- Allowed to take a shower in prep for the big day, which felt OH SO GOOD!
5am- Pitocin started to induce labor
8am- Dr. Erickson broke my water through cervix dilated 1cm. This was perhaps THE MOST painful thing yet. Seriously seriously hurt, I about came out of the bed!
8:30am- Anesthesia came to place the epidural. PAINFUL!!! He did the Lidocaine bleb, couldn't find where he needed to go and I actually felt the needle hitting my vertebrae while he fished for his spot. Then he would angle in areas which did not have the lidocaine and I would have sharp shooting pains. Poor Jim's hand at this point was reduced to mush because it hurt so bad. I was in tears, but trying so hard to be strong because I hate showing that something hurts. Finally, I think after 20 minutes or so, the epidural catheter was finally placed and I had some good drugs. Numb legs is a real funny feeling!
Then, the nurse returned to place my urinary catheter. She said 'ahhhhh' for me as the bag started to fill up! haha
. . .hours later . . .no progression with dilation.
5:00pm- Cervix still only dilated 1cm (not 10! like it needed to be for labor)
5:00pm- Cervix still only dilated 1cm (not 10! like it needed to be for labor)
5:30pm- Headed to OR for c-section. All the prepping happened very quickly and before I knew it, Jim was sitting next to me in surgical scrubs and I felt Dr. Erickson pulling and tugging and pulling. It had to be the weirdest sensation ever! Then the next thing I heard was a little suction to baby nose, SCREAM SCREAM, then "he's peeing". He was peeing on the doctor practically before he was even out! APGAR score of 9/10 immediately! I started crying as I heard the sweetest sound I had ever heard.
5:47pm- Baby Jackson arrived!

8 lbs 6 oz.
21 inches long
As I realized that my life was now forever changed for the better, tears trickled down my face. Did I really make this little being, did I really just give birth to this little fella, was he really mine? All of the time leading up to that point seemed so normal, like I didn't know what I was truly receiving in the end. Jimmy and I had just added the most important part of our family.

Friday:
Stayed in hospital recovering. PAIN MEDS PAIN MEDS.
Saturday:
We were discharged at 6pm. Daddy dressed his new boy in the outfit that I had placed in the box he opened at the police academy when he first found out he was going to be a daddy. The outfit, thanks to Ginny, has a fire truck on it and says Daddy is my hero.
All my love to new daddy Jimmy, who stayed every night and never left my side (well, except to take a shower and a nap), and who now shares the best responsibility I have ever had.
All my admiration to new grandma Zoemomma... I will use your wisdom, just try not to spoil the kid too rotten, please.
Thanks Aunt Kimmie for taking ALL of the pictures which chronicled the WHOLE hospital stay and new Jackson. Without you, I wouldn't have all of those wonderful pictures that will keep those wonderful memories so fresh.
And, love to all of our wonderful friends and extended family who stopped by to show all of their love and support.
That was truly the most amazing day of my life.





1 Comments:
Aaaaah, at last--details! Sounds like you had a tough time, but came through it like a trouper. And isn't he just gorgeous. You're right, your life is changed forever, and it's only beginning. I wish you all the joy and confusion of parenting, and hope the joy always comes out the strongest. It's quite a ride. Wish I was closer to give that little guy a kiss on his pudgy cheek. What a cutie! QGrandMom from afar.
Post a Comment
<< Home